The Unexpected Slumber Party

Yesterday, my closest friend Ed called me and shared a story that was too good not to share.. 

After getting off the phone, and thinking about it - I dropped Ed an email, and asked him to write the story down.  I felt it would make a great "Guest Post", and since a couple of the major participants of this story are "regulars" for our hunting trips, I felt it was a great fit for Dad's Outdoor Journal.

Now, I do understand that it helps to know the characters involved (personally), but given the circumstances, I think a lot of people can appreciate this little story.

Take it away Ed...

----------------------------------

An Unexpected Slumber Party

Last Friday, 06-27-08, I got home from work about 11:30pm.  After talking to my wife, Jodie, for a bit I decided it was time to hit the sack as I had to work the following morning.  I crawled into bed and Jodie was doing some last minute things around the house (turning lights off, locking doors, etc…).  I remember Jodie coming into the bedroom to check if Jake (our dog) was on his bed.  Jake sleeps on his pillow next to my side of the bed.  A few minutes later, Jodie returned to our bedroom and told me that Riley (our next door neighbors dog and Jake’s best friend) was at our back patio door and was barking to be let in our house.  Before we let Riley inside, Jodie checked our neighbors’ house and did not notice any lights on.  We both figured they accidentally left Riley outside.  Jodie let Riley come inside and make himself comfortable for the night.

jakeLets back up in time a bit.  Riley is a 12 year old Golden Retriever.  My dog, Jake, is an 8 or 9 year old mutt.  We think he may be part Springer and part English Setter with a bit of PITA mixed in J.  Since day one these two dogs have been best of friends.  Often visiting each other’s homes.  Playing often with tennis balls, chasing squirrels up trees, and taking 16 hour naps in the sun on the deck.  Once in a while they will find a really good stick and begin chewing it together, one on each end of the stick, working their way toward the middle.  Both dogs are in the finer days of dog life and work hard at trying not to work too hard.

Back to Friday…Jodie placed a blanket on the floor for Riley.  He made a quick check of his accommodations and proceeded to fall promptly to sleep.  Being that it was well after midnight, Jodie and I decided not to call and wake up our neighbors.  We’d just let Riley out the following morning to go back home.

Saturday morning, Jim calls me to see if Riley had spent the night with us.  “He sure did.” I replied.  After speaking with Jim for a few minutes, I found out that he had gotten up a couple time during the night to see if Riley had come home.  We started to talk about the events that led up to last night.  Jim said his son had come to visit with his puppy late that night.  According to Jim, when that happens, Riley gets no rest.  The puppy has a ton of energy and will not leave Riley alone.

As soon as Riley spotted the puppy, he made his way to the door to be let outside.  As near as we can figure, Riley left Jim’s home and made his way to ours.  Riley knew exactly what he was doing.  He wanted to go someplace warm, quiet, safe, and comfortable for the night.  He was dog tired and wanted to get a good nights sleep without that puppy interfering with his plans.  What better place to crash for the night when you’re in a jam than your best friends home.  After a quick couple tail wags, both dogs went to their beds and fell fast asleep.

----------------------------------

I hope everyone enjoyed! 

Thanks Ed - A truly great story about "friendship".

7 comments:

Bill said...

Great story Ed!

Thanks for posting it Dave!

Anonymous said...

A friend in need is a friend in deed. Loved the story.

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I post a link on my Maybe Worth Sharing blog?

The Father of Five said...

Link away MotherOf8!

Bill said...

...as evening approached...

:)

Bill said...

...as next year approached...

:)

The Father of Five said...

Ooo... Good one Bill. I owe a couple of posts dont I?

Currently, Dad's Outdoor Journal is a "single post on the front page blog".

Please feel free to use the Archive, Catagories, or "Older Posts" link to locate additional posts.