Duck Hunting 2005 (incomplete)

Duck Hunting
Sept 30-Oct 3 2005


This was by far, my most successful hunting trip to date. We again made the trip to the Hudak Cabin. This year (because of some changes made by the DNR) the season has changed and this weekend was the season opener.

Very out of the ordinary, I arrived much earlier than Ed did. I was at the cabin by 2pm and spent some time visiting with John and Jan. After some visiting, Jan left, and John and I went to do some grocery shopping. By the time we finished, and got the groceries put away, I decided to go do some grouse / squirrel hunting.

I walked along the trail at the top of the ridge along the lake. It was a nice walk * quiet and peaceful. At the turn around (at the end of the trail) I decided to sit down against some trees and hopefully hear some squirrels. I nodded off for several minutes, and was awoken by a shrill sound of some sort of animal. I sat still for another (about) 15 minutes waiting to see what was making the noise. It was moving from one area to another. I then noticed a very large dark colored bird flying around. I noticed a very bright red crest on its head and black and white banding on its face. It was a larger bird. I later found out (with the help of John) that what I was seeing was a pileated woodpecker.

After enjoying the woodpecker for a while, it finally got tired of entertaining me, and flew away. I then started walking back towards the cabin. When I got about three-quarters of the way back, I started hearing some squirrels off to the south of me. I started up the main road through the woods and broke off onto the trail to (what I believe is) Deer Stand #1. The squirrel kept chattering away at me from a little farther away. I'd move a few feet closer and the squirrel would chatter at me again, but from what sounded like a little further away. I was now just about at the stand when the squirrel made it's way to the front side of the tree. I took my shot, and bagged the squirrel. This was (to me) a sign of things to come, and felt good about how the rest of the weekend was going to go. I retrieved my squirrel and headed back to the cabin.

Ed was about 30 minutes away by the time I arrived, and when he arrived we unpacked him, had dinner, and caught up.

Didn't hunt first morning * too busy * chopped wood and worked all day. Jim arrived * Drove the Thompson Trail in the afternoon * saw nothing.

Sunday morning woke at 0500 * heard boats in the water, and saw people already in field. Saw lots of ducks, I downed a ringneck with one shot - we shot six, crippled one * landed in bay * rowed out to it * shot * landed in other bay * rowed to it, and lost it. Hoped for 7 but came in with 6. For sure 1 of 6 was mine, but I suspect at least one more (grin).

Jim heckled other hunters by accident.

Pulled in dock and lift. Went grouse hunting on ridge. Jake flushed out a grouse. Had bead on it in the tree * looked odd to me * more tall and thin * looked partridge like * I suspected sharptail grouse * Later found out prob ruffled grouse per John.

Monday morning * no one out * we had the lake to ourselves. Ed got a couple more ringnecks, and right infront of me (from out of nowhere) popped a Drake Wooduck. I put a bead on it just as it jumped up and started flying away. 1 shot dropped the duck. It was a beautiful bird, and Ed Recommended mounting it.

Bird total for Ed and I for the two mornings * 9

After eating we went and walked the ridge one more time. (Looking for that grouse)

Rest of day spent getting Jim's docks in. Went to Reed's sporting goods (bought pen I am writing this down with), and picked up some nice steaks for dinner.

No comments:

Currently, Dad's Outdoor Journal is a "single post on the front page blog".

Please feel free to use the Archive, Catagories, or "Older Posts" link to locate additional posts.